1. Call your credit card company and let them know where you will be going (including any layovers) and for how long. If your card is used in a different country without the credit companies knowing, there is a good chance your card will be frozen.
2. Go to the bank and 1) let the bank know where you are going and 2) order some foreign currency. If your bank cannot bring in your destinations currency, order some US dollars. It will work almost everywhere.
3. On another banking note, I recommend having two separate banks and two separate debit/credit cards. That way, if your card does get frozen, cancelled, or stolen, you have a backup. (Always keep your backup cards either with your travelling buddy or in your suitcase/hotel room)
4. If you have in mind certain things you want to do (i.e. visit the Louvre, la Sagrada Familia, a Broadway show), book the tickets now! If you wait until the day of, you will either be in long line ups or it will be sold out. Plus, if you book online, sometimes you can save a bit of money. Who doesn’t like that?
5. Need a car rental? Might as well book that now too. If you plan on taking public transport, ask your hotel or the locals for help once you are there.
6. Either put an international data plan on your phone or turn the data off. Roaming charges will add up quickly.
7. If you are gone for a long time, automate your bills.
8. Pack (see Packing List)
9. Enjoy your trip, it’s going to be a blast!