Come the holiday season, there is nothing that warms you up better than a glass of warm, spiced red wine. As soon as December starts, one of the first things I love to make is mulled wine. It tastes like Christmas in a cup and is super easy to enjoy. I first tried this drink in England years ago and ever since, it is something I look forward to each year. So how do you make this European Christmas drink? Quite simple. All you need is:
- 1 bottle (750ml) of red wine
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 orange – cut into circles
- 1/3 cup of sugar (can use more, can use less…use to taste)
- In a large sauce pan, pour in the bottle of wine on a low to medium heat
- Stir in some of the sugar, along with the star anise, cloves, and peppercorns.
- Let the wine heat up for 6-8 minutes. Taste to see the sweetness level. If you would like it a bit more sweeter, just add in the rest of the sugar.
- Place the cinnamon sticks in along with the orange slices.
- Heat over low heat for 15 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with a cinnamon stick or fresh orange slice.
If you happen to be in London, head to the Borough Market for a cup of this!