Well, what do you know it, the final day before moving abroad has arrived. The last week has been a whirlwind between finishing up at my job, trying to say good-bye to everyone, and pack my entire life into two suitcases. I feel like I was fairly organized over the past month in terms of getting everything moved out of my house into storage among other moving-prep tasks, but yet between yesterday and today I have managed to misplace things, completely unpack my suitcase just to re-pack it again an hour later, and even did a couple more trips down to the storage unit to either store things or find things I misplaced.
Besides saying good-bye to my family and friends, cramming everything for the next two days in a carry-on, I think I almost have my life together. With a few helpful hints from other travellers, this is what I’ve managed to pick up for my final days:
- Pack a carry-on with some back-up clothes, computer/charger, and toiletries
- Call the government to advise that I’m leaving and to update my address for taxes/medical/etc.
- Put parking insurance on my car
- Organize passport, foreign money, and documentation into my bag
- Cancel cell-phone plan and unlock the phone (very important!)
Any other suggestions?
Otherwise, so long Canada, it has been great. See you soon Germany.